Saturday, March 7, 2015

New Updates in Strawberry Shortcake: Berry Rush

I don't normally post entries about apps, but I thought I would make an exception. The popular app Strawberry Shortcake: Berry Rush just received some new updates, and in my opinion, they improve the game tremendously.

I had been browsing the internet when my tablet notified me that the app was going through the process of updating itself, so I thought I would investigate to see what new features were added to the game.

First of all, Berry Rush now allows you to keep track of your distance while you run through Berry Bitty City collecting berries and coins, and I think that is a nice feature to add. I noticed that the version for the iPad already contained this feature, but for the Android users like myself, it was simply left out until this recent update. To me, this makes the game more enjoyable to play because you can now keep track of your score in a better sense.

In addition, Berry Rush now gives you daily challenges similar to the ones given in Temple Run 2: you're required to complete a set of objectives before the end of the day, and if you follow through with them, you'll be rewarded with extra coins to go towards your next purchase within the game.

 The new features also allow you to collect stickers throughout the game so you can "stick" them in a coloring book when you're finished. What's great about this feature is that it serves as a way for you to earn more coins, as well as providing a means for you to collect more fruit (which results in even more coins for you, of course). I think that the little virtual packs of stickers are cute, and I really like the designs they used for them.





However, what  I was really surprised to find is that they've added Plum Pudding and Huckleberry Pie into the game - this being said, I'm assuming the company added them when reviewers kept questioning them as to why the other two characters weren't included in the game. I'm glad that you can play as all eight characters now, but I do hope that you can play as Huck and Plum without having to pay physical money to do so. Lemon and Raspberry are already locked until you pay $4.95 for each character, and that doesn't include their dogs Henna and Chiffon in the package. There is an alternative, though: you can unlock everything in the game, including future characters, if you're willing to pay the $50 required to complete this action. Yeah, I won't be purchasing anything in any apps anytime soon, especially when they're faulty and malfunction to where you have to delete them and reinstall them. If that were to happen, would you have to re-purchase everything you've already unlocked? I don't think I want to know.


I'm pleasantly surprised to see how the characters in this game actually resemble the ones in the show. A few of them are actually really close copies to the 3D models in Berry Bitty Adventures.

 




Despite this news, I'm not sure when the two new
characters will be unlocked: could it be a matter of days? Months, perhaps? A year sounds unlikely. I guess it's just another process of waiting. In the meantime, I can only wonder if they will introduce more new characters in the game in the future. Before the new update, the game spoke of a mystery character, but I assume that it was referring to Plum and Huckleberry. I know that Apple Dumplin and Sweet and Sour Grapes most likely won't see the light of day since Berry Bitty Adventures season 4 turned into a no go, but might we possibly see them in the game at least? It's probable, but maybe not as much as I would hope. I can only dream, I guess.





Whenever the new characters are unlocked, you can also unlock their pets Tom Tom and Pitterpatch so they can play alongside you in the game and help you earn additional coins. Again, they closely resemble the models in the show, especially Tom Tom.




So what do you think about the new updates in Strawberry Shortcake: Berry Rush? I'm thoroughly pleased with the new features and additional characters, and I think that I'll start playing the game a lot more often now that you can do so much more with it.
 
 

No comments: