Tuesday, July 28, 2015

An Unexpected Birthday Surprise

Let me be honest: for my birthday yesterday, I wasn't expecting much out of it, only the usual card-exchanging and cake-eating. Because of this, I wasn't too thrilled about it, coupled with the fact that I'm another year older and that I'll have to take on additional responsibilities, so to say the least, I wasn't really looking forward to it. My birthday is always the last occasion to be celebrated before summer vacation is over, and I don't even want to fathom thinking about what freshmen experience will be like in the next couple of weeks. This day has taken on a melancholy feeling, and by this time I wish nothing more than to go back in time and start the summer over. If only that fantasy could turn into a reality.

I mostly spent the day working on videos for my channel and lollygagging on the internet, so I didn't necessarily do anything festive to commemorate the day. But when the time came for me to open my gifts, I was sure in for a surprise.

I was presented with a large colorful birthday bag and was informed to open my gifts from biggest to smallest, all of which were wrapped, so I had no idea what to expect (my family kept pestering me saying that they were giving me boxes of Honey Bunches of Oats, and since I can't eat that cereal anymore after it being my favorite for so long, it kind of stung). The first box was exceptionally heavy, which I wasn't expecting, so I was thinking, "Is this the Blue Yeti microphone that I've been going on about the last couple of months?" However, I was not prepared for the real surprise that was contained beneath the wrapping paper.

The paper revealed a brand new camera, a Canon Rebel EOS T3i to be precise! I was speechless. A few weeks ago during our Tennessee vacation, my previous Nikon camera started falling apart: the rubber grip fell off, and what's worse is that chunks of plastic came off its bottom. I was furious that it'd torn up like that after I've only used it a year-and-a-half, so it was then that I started to research cameras for a future replacement that I'd save up my money for. My Nikon is fixed now with the help of super glue, but it still contains those holes at the bottom that I can do nothing about. I'd complained about its various problems to my parents and siblings, but I wasn't thinking that they'd buy me a DSLR in response!

What's great about my new camera is that it has a flip screen: now I can finally see what I'm filming if I have to get a tricky shot. Also, it has a little remote control, so guess what that means? Smoother stop motions! I was becoming frustrated with my animations because I had to create them by pressing the shutter button manually, and that caused the shot to look like it was shaking. I put up with this a great deal while working on A Day in Berry Bitty City episode seven, so it'll be a breath of fresh air knowing that episode eight will turn out a lot better. In addition to these two points, I can take my photography to the next level now that I have a professional camera, and that excites me. I'd say the only downside is that I have to depend on the lens for zooming instead of having an ultra-zoom feature like on my previous one, but that's not too bad. Perhaps I can save up for a bigger lens, but those things are so expensive that I don't think I'm going to buy any lenses any time soon. The best part is that this camera is compatible with Dragonframe, so I'm on my way to creating professional stop motions like you see in the movies!


With all of this excitement, I was more than ready to start working on some new projects for my channel. But typically, something would get in the way of my plans. I awoke this morning feeling sick, and though I'm feeling a lot better now, I think it's advisable that I get some rest first. If I had known I was going to receive this camera for my birthday, I wouldn't have put up as much of a fuss about getting older. I'm just hoping that this year will be better than the last.

No comments: